Turns out that flight delays are common when you’re trying to fly to the North Pole, who knew?
After we got to the airport and loaded all the gear on the plane, we find out that the weather is bad at our landing site, the Barneo Research Station (current temperature -15 degrees F). Our guides inform us that the plan is to wait at the airport and every two hours we will get an update on the conditions and if we are going to fly. Just 2 hours later at 11am we find they’ve already cancelled any flights going out today, which means we’ll have to fly out tomorrow.
A small setback but since weather delays are common we have some flexibility built into our schedule to help manage these sorts of things. Fingers crossed we will have good weather tomorrow and will make it onto the ice! If Mother Nature allows us to fly we will ideally make it to our starting point around 3-5pm, ride the dogsleds for about an hour, and then make camp.
Everyone is in good spirits and while it’s always frustrating to get delayed, we were glad to have some more time to rest (in real warm beds!). At this point we are definitely ready to get on the ice after all the preparations we’ve done! So for the next 7-10 days we will be surviving the cold, bonding with dogs, and making our way roughly 70 miles to the top of the world.